Answers to Your Questions

Employment FAQs

What areas of employment does Adventure Medics offer?

Events – EMT and higher 

Wildland – ambulance EMTs and Paramedics, fireline EMTs and Paramedics, camp/mobile med base EMTs, Paramedics, RNs and PAs, and REMS Team members 

Interfacility Transport – EMTs, Paramedics, Critical Care Paramedics, Critical Care Nurses, Drivers 

I don’t live in Bend, OR or Southwest, WA can I still work for you?

Typically, our Events and Interfacility Transport staff live in either Oregon or Washington. For fire, staff usually live west of the Continental Divide (with some exceptions).

What training/certifications do I need?

Events positions – you need a State EMS license in Oregon and/or Washington as either a Paramedic or EMT (we also hire PAs, Nurses, Doctors) before applying. You will need to keep your license current and remain in good standing with the certifying body. In addition, you will need a BLS or ACLS card depending on your license level.

Wildland positions – you will need a valid State EMS license (preferably an EMS Compact State) and preferably a National Registry certification.  A valid BLS card is also required. In order to obtain the required “Red Card” you will have to have completed the online S-190, L-180, and S-130 courses prior to the start of our pre-season orientations. AdvMed conducts at least three preseason S-130 Field Day classes. Additional pre-season required courses include ICS 100, ICS 200, IS-700, and IS-800 and some sort of UTV/ATV Safety course.

REMS positions – all the same requirements as Wildland positions, with additional preferred qualifications including RRO/RRT, Vehicle Extrication, FFT1, CRWB, and/or ICT5.


For all positions you will be required to pass a fitness test to ensure you can meet the physical requirements of the job


What are your physical test requirements?

Basic PT test requirements for Events include:

  • 2 mile run with variable elevation in under 24 min 
  • 80Ib Farmers Carry for approximately 1/3 mile 
  • Hand-over-Hand weighted rope haul (x2)
  • 2 min of adequate and correct chest compressions on a mannikin  
  • All exercises need to be completed in under 35 min

Basic PT requirements for Wildland include:

  • Arduous Pack Test (3 mile walk with 45lb pack within 45 mins)
  • 80lb Farmer’s Carry for approximately 1/3 mile
  • Hand-over-Hand weighted rope haul (x2)
  • 2 mins of adequate and correct chest compressions on a mannikin

Note that there are additional, much stricter PT requirements required for REMS position.

What are the availability requirements for each division?

Events: Staff are split into part time (0-10hrs/week) seasonal and full time (30-40hrs/week) seasonal. There are also monthly mandatory trainings. The season for events work typically begins around May of each year and goes through until the end of October

Wildland/REMS: Fire is unpredictable, and no work is guaranteed. Busier seasons can have employees working 90+ days on fire. You are expected to be available for 21-day rotations, travel excluded. Fire season typically starts around May/June (although we can be called for resources earlier) and ends in late October, but again, fire season is very unpredictable.

What does your compensation look like?

Events Division (seasonal part-time):

EMT $23-$25/hr DOE 

Paramedic $27-$30/hr DOE 

Wildland Division (seasonal temporary): 

EMT: $500-600/day DOE

AEMT: $525-625/day DOE 

Paramedic: $725-825/day DOE 

Nurses/Physician Assistant: DOE

REMS: $725 minimum per day while on fire assignment. Pay bonuses for team leads, paramedic, FFT1/CRWB, and EMT-I/EMT-A

Transport Division (full-time, part-time, and per diem): 

EMT $25/hr DOE 

Paramedic $30/hr DOE 

Critical Care Paramedic $30-36/hr DOE 

Uniform, Travel and Training paid for. Additional Benefits available for full time staff include; Health/Dental/Vision insurance, 401(k) plan


Do you accept volunteers?

Unfortunately, no. Due to employment laws we are unable to utilize volunteers.

I want to get into this field, can you recommend some courses to take or skills to learn?

We use a wide variety of skills throughout all our divisions. Having a solid background in patient care should be a priority. Working or volunteering in some EMS capacity will be beneficial. Additionally, for our Wildland and Events crew knowing how to use radios, satellite communication, ATV/UTVs, map reading and navigating skills are a huge plus. We also have opportunities for those who have their motorcycle licenses.